By Jan Erdahl
We have received many inquiries into the deconstruction and the reconstruction of our 1861 log cabin. We are happy to report that after a series of delays the project is now almost completed! While this may sound like an easy task, it is far from it. Each piece of wood from the log cabin was meticulously removed and numbered to insure that it was placed back in the original spot. The entire cabin was deconstructed and moved to a new location in the center of the lot, where it will rest on a limestone foundation, which was typical for subsistent log cabins in Iowa in the 1860’s. Some original foundation logs were replaced with new white oak logs, and original windows will be restored. When completed, the cabin will be restored to its former glory, with most of the original wood in tack. When rechinked it will hopefully stand for another 100 years as a symbol of the pioneer spirit of La Porte City and other small rural towns as they helped to build our nation. It will serve as the education center for our new Rural Iowa Heritage Center which will open in 2016. Many thanks to our “pioneers” who helped to restore the cabin: Dick Dewater, who served as project chair, Louis Beck and the FFA students, Joseph Walleser and the Industrial tech students, Gary Sheffler, Steve Miller, Jerry Erdahl, Jim Steffen, Mike Craft, and Dean Fehl.