By Maureen Hanson
The Bruce Boosters 4-H Club enjoyed a fun-filled and successful week at the 2015 Benton County Fair in Vinton. Members exhibited a wide range of projects in the livestock shows and static exhibits.
An unprecedented eight members of the Bruce Boosters had a total of 10 static exhibits advancing to the Iowa State Fair. They included Gabe Hanson, Food and Nutrition; Mitchell Hanson, Food and Nutrition and Self-Determined; Bobbie Hilmer, Food and Nutrition; Jacob Lowe, Mechanics; Nicole Lowe, Fashion, Photography and Self-Determined; Olivia Sash, Animal Science; Payton Sash, Home Improvement; and Clayton Sparks, Home Improvement. Nicole Lowe also advanced to the State Fair in Clothing Selection.
“Awards of Excellence” for projects considered for the State Fair were presented to Wesley Hanson (2), Jenna Lane, Nicole Lowe, Madeline Moen and Rylee Sash.
Christopher Fleming earned “Outstanding Junior” recognition in Food and Nutrition.
The Bruce Boosters also were well-represented in the livestock events at the fair. Outstanding livestock results included:
• Jacob Lowe was the champion intermediate showman in the poultry skill-a-thon.
• John McQuilkin showed the champion derby barrow and the reserve champion derby gilt.
• Nick McQuilkin showed the champion derby gilt.
• Mitchell Hanson showed the junior champion dairy heifer.
• Wesley Hanson showed the champion dairy steer.
• Mitchell, Wesley and Gabe Hanson won their respective age divisions in dairy showmanship.
• Gabe Hanson was the champion bucket-bottle calf exhibitor.
• Nick McQuilkin had the reserve champion rate-of-gain steer.
• Ryan Miller had the third-place rate-of-gain steer.
• Nick McQuilkin showed the champion lightweight commercial heifer.
• Mitchell Hanson was the champion senior beef showman.
• Olivia and Rylee Sash earned top honors in meat goat herdsmanship.
Other Bruce Boosters exhibiting at the fair included Joe Bistline, Cole Klinzing, Sammi Krug, Gunnar Moen, Sam Moen and Georgia Owens.