By Pastor Nathan Richardson Heartland Community Church
If you ask most people why Jesus came to the earth you would probably hear to die on the cross for our sins, so we can have a relationship with him and spend eternity in heaven in his presence. And they would be correct. I definitely do not debate that. But what if I told your there is more? What if we miss the point by only looking forward to what happens after our lives here on earth? Jesus came for so much more.
When Jesus was ready for ministry he was 30 years old. There were two events he experienced that were important to this process. The first was his baptism done by John the Baptist. This showed the humility of Jesus, to allow his mortal cousin to perform such a sacred act on the Son of God. The second event was when Jesus went into the wilderness and was tempted by Satan. This reveals where Jesus’ loyalties were.
After Jesus returned to Galilee he goes into the synagogue as was his custom and he reads a scroll from the prophet Isaiah. Luke 4:18-19 “The Spirit of the LORD is upon me, for he has anointed me to bring Good News to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim that captives will be released, that the blind will see, that the oppressed will be set free, and that the time of the LORD’s favor has come.”
This shows five causes that were close to the hear of God.
1. “Good news to the poor.” Everyone wants good news. Especially the poor, this does not refer to just the financially poor but the poor in spirit, those who are broken hearted. Are you going through a rough season? Are you having a hard time? God is here for you
2. “Release of captives.” This can refer to those in prisons or enslaved. Are you struggling with an addiction, cannot escape someone who keeps dragging you down? God is here for you.
3. “Blind will see.” Are you struggling with a physical ailment or are having a hard time finding your purpose? Are you just wandering trying to find the reason you are here? God is here for you.
4. “The oppressed will be freed.” Are you being mistreated, being taken advantage of by someone? Does it seem like the harder you try the farther back you fall? God is here for you.
5. Favor of the Lord is here. God wants to bring you favor. In scripture there is a time for every season in life. One of these seasons is called the year of Jubilee. Jubilee happens every 50 years. At the end of 50 years slaves are set free, debts are cancelled, and land is returned to the family of the original owners. It is a reset in life.
Doesn’t everyone want to experience a year of Jubilee? We all need a reset, a time to start over and put the past behind us. Jubilee really is an experience of grace. Jubilee is a new life. You are made new. You are set free. You are given something you do not deserve and you did not earn but you are given it anyway.
When we are able to do this we can really experience new life in Christ. Christ came so you may have a life to the full. God is here for you to experience this new life.